Broiled Watermelon Salad
Prep: 10 minutesCook: 15 minutesServes: 6
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, cut into ½-inch-thick rounds
- 1 package (29 ounces) AFS® Cut Watermelon with Blueberry Garnish, blueberries reserved
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups arugula and/or baby spinach
- Preheat broiler on high with oven rack about 6 inches from source of heat; brush rimmed baking pan with 1 tablespoon oil. Brush both sides of onion rounds with 1 tablespoon oil; place in single layer on prepared pan. Broil 5 minutes.
- In large bowl, toss watermelon with 1 tablespoon oil; add to hot pan with onion. Broil 7 minutes or until slightly charred, stirring watermelon once halfway through cooking. Transfer onion to cutting board; let stand 5 minutes. Chop onion.
- In same large bowl, toss cheese, vinegar, salt, pepper, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, onion and watermelon. Serve immediately over arugula and/or spinach topped with reserved blueberries. Makes about 7 cups.
Note from Dietitian
This salad packs in the nutrition with watermelon and leafy greens. This recipe contains 12g fat (58% of total calories) and 5g saturated fat (24% of total calories) per serving. The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend limiting saturated fat to no more than 10% of total daily calories. Limit saturated fats in other daily meals as part of a balanced approach to a healthy diet. Consider serving with a carbohydrate-based side or using this dish to balance higher carbohydrate meals in order to manage carbohydrate intake to about 60-70% of your daily caloric intake.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. 2015 - 2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th Edition. December 2015. Available at https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/
Approximate nutritional values per serving
- 185 Calories
- 12g Fat (5g Saturated)
- 22mg Cholesterol
- 557mg Sodium
- 15g Carbohydrates
- 1g Fiber
- 12g Sugars
- 0g Added Sugars
- 5g Protein